Friday, February 12, 2010

I Finally Signed Up

I've been an atheist for a while. And I'd been a Catholic struggling to keep his faith for even longer.

What I haven't been for a long time is a vocal atheist. Up until the beginning of last year, I'd not had the courage to come out about my lack of faith to my family, although a number of close friends knew, though funnily enough, one of my best friends was still in the dark about my waning faith.

I'd never really seen a need to be vocal about god's existence or lack thereof. That's when Richard Dawkins' God Delusion plopped into my lap and shook me up. That book came at just the right time in my deconversion and helped me move from closet atheist (almost apologetic that I couldn't have faith in a God) to someone convinced that it's important to let people know how much bigger life has become ever since I decided to believe in something bigger than an anthropomorphic single-planet-focused god.

So, in that vein... I've finally added the symbol:

The Out Campaign: Scarlet Letter of Atheism

No comments:

Post a Comment